Keeping our house; Making money

Our house is no longer for sale (we’ll never be able to afford to replace it) and we are going to do whatever crazy money making schemes it takes to meet the monthly payments. So long as they don’t include Gavin spending the rest of his earning life living alone in the Middle East.

Watching the ocean and drinking great Cape champagne (I know we are not supposed to call it that but the EU can sue me) is a great combo for birthing ideas – hopefully some good ones.

Gavin is going to use his last few months over there to take trips to Iran and Pakistan, only a two hour flight from Abu Dhabi, source beautiful things and arrange shipping to Cape Town. We are going to transport everything in the gorgeous painted tin trunks pictured below.

Painted tin trunk from Pakistan, known in India as baksa.

They come from rural Pakistan and migrant labourers store their lives in them while living 10 to a room in oil rich countries. They are known in India as baksa. The inside lid even has a built in photo frame, reminding you of your distant loved ones every time retrieve something. They come in three colours – pink like ours, blue and green – and we will sell them once they are emptied.

We will also sell whatever we can pack inside, wholesale or retail, we’re not sure yet – Middle East merchants based in Sedgefield.

Plan number two is to turn our upstairs loft into a B & B – it’s spacious, light and has a big deck with stunning views of both the sea and the lagoon. It needs very minor conversion to turn it into a bijou dwelling for two.

DSC_0050-1

Lagoon view from right hand side of the loft.

Advertisements

5 Responses to “Keeping our house; Making money”


  1. 1 ian in hamburg October 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

    The B&B sounds like a great idea. Fix it up, advertise on the net, give it time and you could have something steady. And if the breakfast is as wonderful as that view, you can’t lose!

    Thanks Ian! And you get to meet interesting people from all over – maybe even ones from Hamburg 😉

  2. 2 oh October 6, 2009 at 3:40 am

    I’m still staring at those boxes. geez, pieces of art!

    Really? a B&B? Well, it’s beautiful there (from what you’ve shared). ANd B&Bs are big-time popular. Could you stand it to have guests upstairs? It would be a total adventure, wouldn’t it? I vote yes.
    I’ll bet you’ll come up with more ideas as well and some great op will present itself. The universe has a kind way of doing that.
    Keep us in the groove on this one!

    • 3 Jeannine October 6, 2009 at 5:32 am

      Great to hear from you oh! Yip, the people upstairs thing is a bit daunting, but I’m figuring 95% of guests will be great, and for the other 5%, we’ll just think about the money.
      The trunks are quite fab, made of steel and decorated with minarets and crazy floral whirls. We’re bringing in quite a few, so either they’ll sell or we’ll have 10 to a room. I can lock the kids in them if they make a racket when we have guests staying.

    • 4 Gavin October 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm

      For sure, Oh, thanks for your comments on the trunks. My colleagues here reacted with polite bemusement to my proposed venture. I think they are great. And reckon others will too. Either that or I am gonna have a lot of storage space in the years to come.
      Gavin

  3. 5 Pierre October 9, 2009 at 4:52 am

    we’ll take a few up in jozi…..and the goodies inside too


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 23 other followers

Blog Stats

  • 111,432 hits

Categories

Archives


%d bloggers like this: